This is my first try for this and I am excited at the possibilities. I call myself creative but I would have never thought of this. I read about it yesterday on a forum I frequent and could not wait to give it a try.
In all the stuff I read yesterday, they recommend having a glass lid but at this point I don’t have one so I am utilizing the lid that came with the pan. I will search for my glass lid at local thrift stores and I hope by the time the 18th day comes around I will have found one.
I have a wash cloth lining the bottom that was run under water and squeezed the excess out. I do not have a hydrometer that measures the humidity so I may be in trouble. I am using a cooking thermometer and you can see it is reading 100. You do not have to put them in cartons but I chose to do it this way. Again, this being the first time I may end up with nothing. But there is also the possibility of hatching baby chicks and that keeps me motivated!
Just in case you want to try this yourself, I will be posting a follow up entry with all the instructions to date. Just know as I learn this could modify somewhat.
I will keep you updated on the egg incubating process. Especially when I start candling the eggs. Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes (and I hope there are not too many).
I was just so excited when I read about this yesterday and realized I had an egg incubator sitting in my kitchen and could have tried this process along time ago. If you have tried this, please post a comment and let the readers’ know.
10am…removed small dish of water as condensation was forming on eggs. Evidently too much since I had added water to the wash cloth before lining the skillet.
2pm…removed egg cartons and metal tray (I believe the metal tray was causing the heat to rise a little). Now eggs are laying on their sides and I have added markings to their sides to keep track of rotations.